In 1944 the retreating occupying forces abandoned their surveillance base at SAC and, before leaving, dynamited the Tomalin pavilion, built in 1933.
Then SAC President Frank Delves prevailed upon the British Army (and the Royal Engineers) to help. They did so and built a temporary wooden structure in a few days, which sat on top of the foundation of the destroyed Tomalin pavilion building. This "hut" served as the Clubhouse until funds were raised to build the current structure, opened by Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1957. Some of our long-term Members still recall playing in the hut as children.
In 1956/57 this wooden structure was moved to the other side of the Club and has since served as storage for ground-care equipment and as our Cricket Pavilion. By 2018 the structure was in a poor and potentially terminal condition -- leaking roof, a plastic "lean-to" on the rear, rotten beams, windows and siding.
A couple of 'before' photos
The building is now ready to face the next 80 years. Thanks to all those who have volunteered their time and energy to save this part of SAC history, with particular thanks to Andrew Jackson.